The Surrey Intercultural Seniors Social Inclusion Partnership (SISSIP) Network Project, funded by the New Horizons for Seniors Program, comprises of six Collaborating Organizations in Surrey. With PICS as the Backbone Agency, the five Collaborating Organizations are City of Surrey, Seniors Come Share Society, Sources Community Services Society, Semiahmoo House Society and Fraser Region Aboriginal Friendship Centre Association.
The project is a Collective Impact Initiative designed to address systemic barriers to social inclusion of seniors 55+ and to make Surrey an interculturally inclusive and engaged community. The project will be implemented from September 2019 to August 2024 and will aim to:
- Build the collective capacity of Collaborating Organizations to recognize and address barriers to social inclusion faced by seniors
- Collaborate with other Community Organizations to leverage each other’s service strengths and expertise
- Improve access to information, programs and services to enhance social inclusion within the community
- Support action research to understand and implement effective approaches to increasing the level of social inclusion of seniors in their communities
- Develop innovative approaches to engage seniors through ongoing, sustainable systems.
Surrey’s six communities are:
- South Surrey
The project outcomes are:
- Increased organizational capacity of collaborating organizations and Community Partners to create greater awareness, appreciation and acceptance of interculturalism in the city of Surrey so that seniors 55+ are more socially included and actively engaged in the community;
- Increased awareness, appreciation and acceptance of all cultures in the community through best practices for seniors’ social inclusion research and evaluation;
- Strengthened relationships between seniors (intercultural relations) and with the other population groups in Surrey (ex. Youth, people of diverse abilities etc.);
- Increased social inclusion of seniors 55+ in the city of Surrey; and
- Increase in the proportion of seniors who are spending time outside their homes, participating in community activities throughout Surrey and reporting feeling socially connected
Currently, the Network is in the process of developing pilot project initiatives which will commence in April 2020. The project initiatives will be announced once confirmed.