Immigrant Greenhouse Technician Certificate Training Project
A government funded, free training program designed to connect interested and eligible individuals with the agriculture /horticulture industry of BC.
Immigrant Greenhouse Technician Certificate Training Project encourages immigrants to work in the industry, but the program is not exclusively for immigrants. The cohort will start on 25th October 2021 and end on 4th March 2022. Seats are limited, with funding available for 20 participants only.
Funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Training under Community Workforce Recovery Grant (CWRG), this program provides 19 weeks of training, including 12 weeks of occupational skills training provided by Western Community College (WCC), and 4 weeks of practicum with local employers.
Jobs in the Greenhouse sector are an in-demand occupation. Graduates of the program can work in nurseries, on farms, in greenhouses, at garden centres in positions such as Nursery Worker, IPM Assistant, Harvester, and Grower’s Assistant.
Interested participants must be a current resident of BC, a permanent resident, or Canadian citizen, or protected individuals (with court’s decision), currently underemployed or unemployed. Please apply at email@example.com or attend an information session on Event Brite scheduled for Monday, September 27th, 2021 at 11am. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/176644667957
Majority of the training will be delivered online with limited sessions in person. Program components include:
- Essential & Employability Skills
- Job Search Skills Workshops
- Customized Occupational Training -Greenhouse related:
- Agricultural Equipment and Forklift Training
- Irrigation Systems and Production Training
- Plant Health Analysis and Maintenance
- Agribusiness Principles
- Environment & Control Training
- Argus System
- Introduction to Agriculture Technology (Agritech)
- Propagation and Fertilizers
- Upon completion of the project, participants can receive certificates in
- OFA Level 1
- WHIMS & Food Safe
- Ladder Safety and Fall Protection
- Pesticide Applicator License (upon successfully passing the exams)
- 4- weeks of practicum (in person) and job search support