Agricultural Workforce Transition – Greenhouse Technician PBLMT
ABOUT THE TRAINING
This project targets agricultural workers who had been impacted by the ban of mink farming in BC as well as those who had been affected by flooding of the Fraser Valley region in Fall 2022.
Individuals who had immigrated to Canada and have prior experience in horticulture or agriculture are welcome to apply.
Funded by the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia, this program provides 22 weeks of training, including 16 weeks of occupational skills training, 4 weeks of practicum with local employers, and 2 weeks of follow up / employment support.
Jobs in the Greenhouse sector are an in-demand occupation. Graduates of the program can work in nurseries, on farms, in greenhouses, at garden centers, and in landscaping in positions such as Nursery Worker, IPM Assistant, Harvester, and Grower’s Assistant.
- Canadian Citizen, PR or Protected Refugee (with court’s decision), and
- Legally entitled to work in Canada, and
- Unemployed or Precariously Employed, and
- Have CLB English language proficiency Level 5, and
- Referred by a Work BC Centre with an Action Plan, and
- Currently receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits or
- Reachback, have had an EI Benefit within the previous 60 months, or
- Have earned more than $2,000 in insurable earnings and have paid Employee EI premiums on those earnings in at least 5 of the last 10 years (Note: the 5 years do not have to be consecutive years) or
- BCEA PWD status, or
- BCEA Income Assistance Recipient
- Free training funded by the government
- $300 per week living allowance (administered by WorkBC)
- Personal Protective Equipment provided
- Employability and Skills for Success (Essential Skills) Training
- Workplace Safety Certification for: Emergency First Aid Level 1, WHMIS, Forklift, Food Safe, Fall Protection and Ladder Safety
- Unpaid Work Experience Placement (4 weeks)
- Follow up and job search support
- Introduction to BC’s Agriculture & Horticulture
- Greenhouse Hydroponics and environmental control & monitoring
- Irrigation System
- Crop Production and Plant Health Analysis
- Integrated Pest Management
- Agri-business principles
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Pesticide Application (Agriculture & Greenhouse)
Anjani 604-596-7722 ext. 608 email@example.com
Sara 604-596-7722 ext. 611 firstname.lastname@example.org